I used to have eating habits that are much different than they are now. Now I try to eat fairly healthy, getting all my fruits and veggies in, trying to avoid junk food, and above all eating "real" food. That sounds funny, but if you knew me back in the day, it would make more sense.
In college I practically lived off Western Family mac and cheese (don't even get me started on how it's better than Kraft), and Banquet fried chicken TV dinners. My roommates would joke with me, "There's no food in your food!" One day I was at the grocery store buying my normal supply of food when the girl who was ringing me up asked, "So, are you feeding a lot of kids?" Ha! I'm not making this up or exaggerating. It made me laugh, and my roommates felt it vindication for what they'd been telling me all along.
This afternoon I had a conversation with my friend Kevin. He was telling me about the hot diggity dogger he has, and that got me thinking about hot dogs. It's been awhile since I've cooked up a hot dog. One of my favorite ways to cook a hot dog is as a cheesey hot dog sandwich: two pieces of bread, a slice of cheese, and a cut up hot dog, cooked in a sandwich maker (which seals the edges) and eaten with fry sauce. (I am from Utah after all.) I used to have a sandwich maker, but it seems to have gotten lost about 3 or 4 moves ago.
Tonight on my way home I stopped at Target. I was hoping some shirts I saw there a few weeks ago would be on the clearance rack; the shirts weren't there (drat). Instead, I ended up buying a pair of leprechaun green pajama pants (they were only $5 and are so comfortable!) and a sandwich maker. The sandwich maker is exactly like the one I've since lost, and it was a total impulse buy (well, I guess the pants were too) -- not something I normally do. Then I stopped at the grocery store (the main mission was to buy the missing ingredients I needed to make my cod tomorrow) and aside from wandering around for over an hour drooling over the food (I was so hungry; this is why you don't go grocery shopping hungry!), I ended up buying what I needed to make a cheesey hot dog sandwich. And I made it in my new sandwich maker and ate it for dinner...along with some steak fries that I also bought. (Apparently it was impulse-buy day.) Oh yeah. It was sort of like I was a kid again; or at least in college again. :) Now that's out of my system, I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of those hot dogs...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kraft Mac and cheese is totally better!!! And don't bother bringing up the results of our test... we both know astronomers have no taste. I did recently feel i would expand and give other macs a try. I have to say, not a fan of Velveeta mac and cheese.
As for the dogs... what variety? Normally, independent dogs are good. But when unsure of a good brand I recommend the Nathans and the Hebrew National...
Which leads me to my last point. After discussing dogs with you, i realized, I have never made a corndog. Then I realized, I could embed dogs in loaves of cornbread, like rods in a cooling tower, and have a tasty slice-able treat! I will let you know how it turns out.
Apparently, you could just feed those leftover dogs to Kevin.
Yeah, you can just ship 'em (book rate mind you) and I guarantee Kevin will eat them.
That's because he stores his hotdogs in my office and I'll just swap 'em out.
Watch your buns Kevin.....
Post a Comment