This semester I'm teaching a class at Loyola University. It's a general astronomy class for non-science majors. It's my second time teaching such a class, and the first time here in Baltimore.We're starting to talk about stars, and I'm reminded how much I love stars! I just love them! They are the best!
Next time in class we're going to be talking about the H-R Diagram, the most important diagram in stellar astronomy. (And star clusters, which are my absolute favorite!!) To help explain it, I'm going to show a brief clip of a public talk by Jay Anderson, an astronomer here at STScI who is pretty much an astro-rock star. He talked about the HR Diagram and how we construct them. It's THE BEST explanation I've ever seen of it. And really cool animations too! I can't wait!
If you're interested in checking this video out, here's the link to the talk in the STScI public talk archives. Start at about 9:45 and go until 12:15. It's neat! (And if you're ever bored, I'd recommend watching talks in this archive. Some of them are really cool.)
Yay stars!
3 comments:
Thanks for posting this! I love finding fascinating educational videos :)
It's so fun to hear your passion come through! Thanks for sharing. It rubs off.
You're so right girl,
stars ARE the best! (although I'm slightly more partial to galaxies than star clusters...:)
Post a Comment