Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hairstyle

I'm in need of a hair cut/trim right now.

I haven't found a hair dresser yet in B'more that I like. (Of course, I haven't looked, which may be part of my problem.) Any of my local readers have any recommendations?

A few weeks ago I was on a plane flying somewhere. (California? Utah? I don't actually remember.) The woman next to me was watching CSI: Miami. I've never really been into CSI, and I couldn't hear anything, but one character caught my attention. She looked familiar, but I didn't know/couldn't remember her name. She had medium-length brown curly hair, a lot like mine. I really loved her haircut. It reminded me of a haircut I got over a year ago in Utah by my sister Sue's friend Marin. That was a great haircut! But Marin doesn't cut hair anymore. :( (And....I don't live in Utah anyway.)

So I searched and searched for pictures of this actress. I had no idea what her name was, just that she was on CSI: Miami. No luck.

Well, this weekend I solved the puzzle. Turns out the show was CSI: New York, not CSI: Miami. (Sheesh, how could I get them mixed up?) The actress is Melina Kanakaredes. I did some online searches and found some pictures, and this cut/style I particularly liked. What do you guys think of it for me?

I've never taken a picture to a hair dresser before. Would this picture be enough for someone who is good to figure out the cut and style on me? The part is in the middle, instead of my usual off-to-the-side (see below), but maybe I could pull it off? Or just have them alter the style from the picture and keep it on the side?

(In case you forgot what I look like.) These are just mac photo booth pictures of me (i.e., taken while I was procrastinating work, and hence a little bit silly). This one was not long after I got that great hair cut.

This one was about 6 months later, so it's still the great haircut, but grown out a little bit. (And hence a little less great, but still not bad. It was a good hair day.)

Opinions?

7 comments:

Auburn said...

Have you ever tried bangs? Off to the side...? (Probably straightened out a bit, of course.) That could be cute!

Oooh, oooh.... Have you ever done anything REALLY drastic? I'm thinking a bob with side-swept bangs could be suh-weeeet!! Maybe a tad shorter in the back than in the front.... Maybe something that doesn't require blow-drying (you have lots of hair, so a cut with good volume might not need you to put much work into it to look awesome).

As my hairdresser roommate used to chant to me and everyone and even in her sleep ;), "it's just hair, it's just hair, it grows back, it grows back, play!"

Sometimes I'm tempted to REALLY take this to heart and see if I can pull off the almost-shaved look. Haha! Matt thinks I should. It IS just hair, but I'm just not that brave yet.... (Or maybe I'm just too smart. ;)) Anyway, I at least opine with side-part! Good luck!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

I LOVE IT!!!! It will suit your curly hair perfectly!! With curly hair your run the risk of it being unruly, ALL THE TIME. So short hair is a bit harder to deal with without getting an afro. But I LOVE her hair, and think it will look amazing on you!! Just tell them where your part is and they will do it. It won't hinder the cut any. YOU'LL LOOK GREAT!

Kevin said...

Mr Clean?

Sue said...

I take pictures to the salon all the time! Since I'm so terrible at explaining things, it helps a lot in the process! They won't need to alter it much (if at all) to accommodate a side part.

We need to talk about this weekend!! Maybe you could get a $200 haircut in NYC. ;-)

Lauren said...

I've always LOVED that actress's hair! Would you style it similarly (don't ask me what that would entail...maybe gel or something) to her? I think her cut is great but it may look great also because of how she styles it. If it's not that complicated you should totally do it. Maybe I should perm my hair and get that style as well! JK - perms have not worked out well for me in the past...haha

Beth said...

A picture should work... I do that all the time. I am similarly scared to go to a hairdresser (even though I desperately need a haircut) in France -- can you imagine not being able to communicate with someone cutting your hair? Ack!

LauraJ said...

Hey Liz - we were looking for curly hair info for Sarah and came across this website:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/therules/
She has some excellent ideas and a book even :) There are some broken links on the site, but you can work around them.
I think that style would be very pretty on you.