Sunday, January 11, 2009

Goodbye Austin.


There are times when we have so much to say about something that any attempt to do so will be inadequate. But you have to say something, else you would do it a disservice. That's how I feel about leaving Austin right now.

My first Sunday in Austin, the bishop of my ward welcomed those of us that were new and told us that Austin did something to people. He said that people moved here for one reason or another and then after awhile they didn't want to leave. I didn't really believe him. Especially because I had just left my family and friends, I missed my life at BYU, and starting over isn't the easiest thing for me to do.

But, he was right. After 5 1/2 years, Austin has done something to me. Austin has changed me in every good way. Austin has made me better. I've met some of the greatest people I've known and have made some amazing and lasting friends. I found an Elizabeth inside me in the process that I didn't even know existed. If it was possible, I would live in Austin forever and I would be happy.

In the time I've been in Austin, I've lived in nine different places, and had twelve roommates. I've traveled. I've learned things. Not just in school, but about life. Particularly that everyone I meet has something to teach me.

Well, I don't want to say much more except that I'll miss you Austin. Thank you for being so good to me. Thank you to all the wonderful people I've met, thank you for being my friends. I'll miss all of you. I won't forget you or my time there.

But seeing as I'm not falling off the face of the earth, I'll try to stop this from sounding any more like a eulogy than it already does. But I will miss you Austin in more ways than I have words to describe.

The last 5 1/2 years have been full of adventures. Here are some pictures of some of them. This list is in no way exhaustive (and in absolutely no particular order). That's just impossible. But some include:

Meeting fellow Heisman winner, Ty Detmer.

Being on the championship bowling team for the interdisciplinary bowling smackdown. Go Team Astro!

Eating a lot of sausage at Wurstfest.

Running a 10K.

Biking around Town Lake.

Going to UT football games!

Playing games like Nertz and Speed Scrabble.


Surviving one particularly big ice storm. (I sent my pictures to KSL news in Utah and they showed them!)

Remembering the Alamo.

Taking some friends to McDonald Observatory.

Lots of late nights observing around the world.

Being on a team to run a marathon relay.

Kami getting married.

Climbing the highest mountain in Texas.

Hiking into and out of the Grand Canyon.

Getting hot chocolate with extra whipped cream at Kerby Lane.

Making a flux cake-pacitor.

Seeing the world.



Using lots of telescopes.



Observing in the Chilean Andes (twice).

Having a random Polish astronomer take this picture of me at Las Campanas.

Going on a cruise, and seeing Tulum.

Rebecca and William getting married.


Seeing the Texas Capitol.

Having awesome birthday parties.

Angela's wedding.

Enjoying blue bonnets (and wild flower season in general).

Hosting a housewarming party and almost burning my arm off.

No one being able to break the pinata at said housewarming party.

The speed limit on I-10 changing to 80 mph. (That was a beautiful day.)

Going to McDonald Observatory...a lot.

Seeing the top of the UT tower.

Running 5Ks.

Julia visiting a couple times; us and the tower.

My first trip to McDonald Observatory....this was December!

Hiking around McDonald.

My roommate Mariah working at Amys and bringing home free ice cream for Sarah and I to enjoy.

Running a triathlon.


And of course....the people are what really made Austin great. I'll miss you all!!
































Thanks again Austin. I'll miss you.

9 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

I want to make that picture of you with the stars my laptop wallpaper.

You are so beautiful.

And Austin--Austin is better for you. You were the best resident/participant/enjoyer/changee that Austin could ever dream of.

Austin 4eva.

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

This is my most fav post you've ever done! What a great 5 1/2 yrs! But now its time for new experiences and new things to learn! Best of luck!!

Rebecca J said...

And Austin misses you! (I love that your very first picture, and I assume, your very favorite, is the picture of you with Ty Detmer!)

tck4texas said...

make tear up why don't you! OH man, I seriously got emotional reading that. Austin loves you too! Can't wait to see what awesome things come next in the wonderful life of E!

Treat Queen said...

You are amazing Elizabeth

Dan and Merideth said...

Oh that's so sad! I dont know if its my pregnancy hormones or what but i got all teared up reading this and looking at all your wonderful memories!

have a great time with a great new start!

Sue said...

I'm not sure which picture is cooler--the 10K jump at the end of the finish line, or the flux cake-pacitor. hahaha.

Katie said...

When is it MY turn to move to Austin?! With experiences like those there should be a waiting list to live there!

Margie and Andrew said...

OK!!!! This made me miss Austin way too much and I was only there for under a year!!!!!!!!! You are one heck of a girl and I am blessed to know you!