Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You know what we need? More snow.

No, this is not a screenshot from The Onion. Actually, it's the front page of msnbc.com tonight. I saw it, and I laughed. Sometimes I forget that the rest of the world isn't snowed in too. With the next big storm having rolled in this afternoon (it's snowing as we speak), work and school canceled again for tomorrow, we're heading into snow day #6. This storm is forecasted for 10-20 more inches on top of the two feet we already have.

But I'm grateful that:

(1) We still have power/internet. (*knock on wood*)
(2) My roommates are fun. (Let's be honest, we've been having a blast. And don't want to kill each other. Which is good.)
(3) I have good food to eat, and what seems like an endless supply of hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies baked by roommates.
(4) The gym remains open, despite Johns Hopkins campus being closed. And that it only takes 20 minutes to walk there. Good workouts are great to prevent complete cabin fever.
(5) I brought my work laptop home, so I'm still productive. Well, kind of....
(6) We as roommates helped each other clean the snow off each others' cars tonight....you know, so no one's roofs or windshields collapse from the weight of all the snow. (Can that happen?)

To be honest, this is the type of weather I expected when I moved to Albany a year ago, not Baltimore. Remember when I was (somewhat unhappily) getting ready to move to Albany, imagining what it would be like, and on this very blog, I wrote this:

"I sometimes envision myself being snowed in for days at a time, wrapped up in blankets, drinking hot chocolate, and busily writing my dissertation on my laptop."

Well, I don't have a dissertation to write anymore (THANK GOODNESS); nor am I wrapped up in blankets, since our heat still works (THANK GOODNESS); but I am almost always in my pajamas, working (or not working) on my laptop, and drinking hot chocolate. (Thank you Cocomotion. Love you!) And of course we've got the part about being snowed in for days at a time down.

I'll be glad when it stops snowing.

But hey. Life goes on. Turns out.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh man, I love the picture. You would think it was The Onion. :) How crazy it must be to be shut in for days!! Glad that you can make it to the gym. Otherwise you might go crazy.

Angela said...

Wow. And isn't it funny how people there would always remark how they could never live in Utah because of all the snow we get? It seems like a lot of people I talked to thought that Utah only has 2 things- snow and Mormons.

annsensei said...

I'm glad that you're all safe and that you are still in such good spirits!!! keep us posted on how you're holding up!!!