Today's lecture was entitled "The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard." We talked about the weird remnants that are leftover after a star dies. I taught them about white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes.
Of course, black holes is a fun topic to teach. Everyone is relatively interested in what you have to say. (One student asked me last time excitedly, "When are we going to talk about black holes?!" I told him, "Next time..." Sadly, he wasn't in class today.)
And I got to teach about something everyone is excited to hear about: spaghettification. My favorite part of the lecture was these two slides, as I told them what would happen if you were to fall into a black hole:

Here's what's going on in this scenario.Remember, the force of gravity depends on distance: if two objects are closer together, there will be a stronger force between them than if they were further apart.
Tidal forces happen when the gravitational force is stronger on one side of an object than the other. Tidal forces between the Earth and the Moon cause the tides in the ocean.
Spaghettification is tidal forces to the extreme. Because the force at your feet (closer to the black hole) is stronger than the force at your head (further from the black hole), you are stretched long and skinny (like spaghetti). You are spaghettified. As you fall into the black hole, these tidal forces are so strong that you will not survive, but rather ripped to shreds. (Yikes!)
In other words, the black hole wins.
The term isn't used in the textbook, but I knew it was definitely worth mentioning. I challenged them to use it in casual conversation this week. And I challenge any of you to do the same. :)
8 comments:
Mmm, that sounds delicious. :)
Very nice :) I love learning this stuff - and now I want some spaghetti for dinner too, just to reinforce the concept of course :)
I wonder if they could come up with a milder form of spaghettification -- one that wouldn't kill me but make me tall and skinny, instead of short and, well, not skinny.
I love the suggestion Jayme! If they do, I'll patent it, use it on myself, and let you know. :)
Way to go Elizabeth! EVERYONE should know about spaghettification, event horizons and stellar evolution. Honestly, how can people live without it?
Yeah, I'm with Jayme. What I took away from this is...get close to a black hole, get tall and skinny. I could definitely use that. Thanks for the weight loss advice.
Totally fascinating! Thanks for sharing. What other mini-lessons about the heavens have you got up your sleeves?
Can I be in your class?
Post a Comment