One thing I like to do is find and try new recipes. During our last few months as roommates, my last roommate, Michelle, and I would even have nights when we'd experiment with new recipes and make dinner for each other. I've tried a lot of random recipes over the years, and some have been good, others not so much. (Fortunately, Michelle and I never had many--if fact, I can't remember any--of those recipe clunkers.) I go up and down in the frequency with which I try new recipes, usually relating to my motivation and schedule.I have been motivated to find some new recipes this week, for two, completely different, though not wholly incompatible, reasons:
1. I want to try eating something besides Cheerios for breakfast that is still easy and filling.
2. I've recently fallen in love with black beans.
The internet is such a beautiful thing. I've spent the last night or two scouring it for potential recipes. I've made a short list, and tonight tried just two of them. They were each a great success, so I will share them both.
I give you Exhibit A.
Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 28 oz jar tomato pasta sauce
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 3/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 x 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Over low heat, simmer tomato sauce, black beans, and water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cottage cheese and egg and set aside.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, place 1 cup of the bean/sauce mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Place 3 of the uncooked noodles, side-by-side, on top of the sauce.
- Spread 2/3 cup of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Top with 1 cup of the bean/sauce mix. Top with about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat two layers of noodles, cottage cheese, bean/sauce, and cheese.
- Place the remaining 3 lasagna noodles and pour the remaining bean/sauce mixture all over it. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 375* for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
- This was great! (Turns out black beans instead of meat in normal lasagna is really tasty!)
- The original recipe called for ricotta cheese, but I used cottage cheese.
- Also, I ran out of the cottage cheese mixture before I put on the last layer of noodles, so I put just plain cottage cheese in that last layer. If that happens when I make this again, I will probably just leave off the last layer of noodles.
- I used Prego sauce, but I doubt it matters what kind you use.
Now I give you Exhibit B:
Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour a muffin tin, or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together applesauce, oil, and egg.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in applesauce mixture. Stir until just moistened. Fold in cranberries and pecans.
- Spoon into muffin cups, 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 2 minutes before removing.
- Used 1 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil. Next time I make this I will use 1 1/3 cup applesauce and leave the oil out completely.
- Used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white.
- I used brown sugar instead of white.
- Added a bit extra cinnamon.
- Didn't use pecans.
- I couldn't find fresh or frozen cranberries at the grocery store, so I used whole berry cranberry sauce. (I actually dumped out the can in a bowl, sifted through it and pulled out the berries. Though I threw in a couple spoonfuls of the jelly part too, for good measure, I guess.)
- Made half the batch with cranberries, and the other half with frozen blueberries.
- Only baked them for 24 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
- These were awesome! They are very moist and tasty. It's a very good base muffin recipe and I'm going to try future incarnations of it with different types of berries. (Maybe raspberries? Mmm...)
The Porters got home just as I finished up cooking. (And I had already cleaned the entire kitchen and started the dishwasher. Surely I looked like superwoman. :) ) They already had their own dinner, but tried both my dishes. And they really liked them! So that's three endorsements for you.
Stay tuned, next week I will be making more of the recipes on my short list and will report on them. (I hope you like black beans too...)


6 comments:
mmmm I love black beans. They are awesome. Did you know you can replace half of the fat called for in a baking recipe with bean puree? Use black beans for brownies, pintos for brown things like chocolate chip cookies, and white beans for light recipes like snickerdoodles. They add loads of fiber, and make a lower fat baked product.
I miss our practice dinner nights!! These look really delicious. :D
So, I'm guessing that the lasagna is the Cheerios substitute? And it looks like you're not a very obedient cook with all those recipe changes. :) Can't wait to see what else you've got!
Mmm. I'm going to have to try those sometime. Ironically I just put a lasagna in the oven. Too bad I didn't check your blog earlier so I could have tried the black bean idea.
Those look delicious! I'm going to have to try them.
Canned black beans are convenient in a hurry, but the real ones are pretty easy.
I bought a $25 crockpot and dry black beans from Target for "The Chili Bowl" this year. Soak the beans over night, rinse the beans, recover with water and then let them cook all day. That's it.
My mostly Vegan roommate will enjoy the lasagna, even if it does have cheese.
Post a Comment