Friday, November 14, 2008

Okay, now THIS is hilarious

Two funny posts in one day. But I couldn't resist this one.

This afternoon our grad coordinator (the admin in the department who keeps track of us grad students, makes sure we're registered for our classes, forwards emails about job opportunities, etc.) forwarded this article to us:

http://chronicle.com/news/article/5494/call-to-scientists-dance-your-phd

It's about a contest called "Dance Your PhD." Kind of random, but okay. I thought the Lindy Hop video was pretty cool.

But the quote that got me is in the 3rd paragraph of the article.

“The human body is an excellent medium for communicating science — perhaps not as data-rich as a peer-reviewed article, but far more exciting,” says the contest’s Web site.

Okay, I could NOT stop laughing at this. I wish I could somehow work that quote into a paper or my thesis or SOMETHING. But the mental image of a talk seemed best, getting up and saying:

"Today I've decided to forgo the usual powerpoint format for my talk and instead introduce you to my dance partner, Maurice. He will help me tell you about my recent work on these star clusters and white dwarfs...."

HAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! Oh man. I can't stop laughing. It's definitely time for the weekend to start. hahah!

No comments: