As I mentioned, I wrapped up my time in Baltimore Friday late afternoon. Friday evening my friend Sarah (who just moved to D.C.) picked me up at my hotel and we continued north to Lancaster, PA. (Which, by the way, I learned is pronounced LANK-uster, not LAN-caster. I learned a post doc in my department who is originally from that area.)
What was in Lancaster? Sarah's roommate was organizing an event they call "Dutch Bike Dutch." Basically the YSAs (Young Single Adults from the Mormon community) all meet up there and bike. So fun! It's not a church sponsored activity, just a bunch of people getting together to have fun. They've been doing this for a couple years, but from what I hear, this is the best turn out they've ever had. People came from not only D.C. but also NYC and Philadephia. Several people stayed in a hotel up there, and then everyone met up the next morning in the hotel parking lot. I don't have a bike here (obviously), so I rented one from a local bike shop.
The countryside was beautiful! We got to bike through miles of this:

Here is Sarah and I before the ride started.

Everyone enjoying the scenery.

Here I am.

There were a couple covered bridges on the route. Fun!

Me and the covered bridge.

Sarah and I waiting to take a picture with the covered bridge, but waited for theses two Amish boys to pass through.

But we got the picture.

Everyone afterward, back at the hotel parking lot. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Another of Sarah's roommate's parents own a peanut butter factory and they sponsored us. That is, they got us these matching bright orange T-shirts and provided all the peanut butter for the sandwiches. The peanut butter is really good; the only ingredient, literally, is peanuts. Yum! Check out their website. It's called
Crazy Richards Peanut Butter. Check it out. (Though unless you live on the east coast, you'll have to order it online.)
5 comments:
where'd you get a bike?
I rented one from a local shop in Lancaster.
Hey...I don't know if you remember me. We lived on the same floor freshman year. I almost went to Dutch Bike Dutch. It looks like so much fun and i'm sad I couldn't go. It would have been fun to see you too.
What two gorgeous women! I love it. I'll have to give that peanut butter a try.
WOW! Thanks for taking us with you!
Post a Comment