I've had some good birthdays over the years. The last few in Austin have been especially great. There was the time that Sarah organized a dinner on my behalf and everyone brought me earrings (because I'd just gotten my ears pierced and could take out them out around my birthday). This was after they'd snuck into my office, left a big bag of oreos (my favorite!) and hung up awesome signs, like this one. Most of the signs still hang in my office.

During the summer of the house (oh the house! how we miss it!), Rebecca threw me a great party where we ate Chinese takeout, and just hung out. (I think I even got a few people to play croquet with me.) That was awesomely fun. (I'm such a fan of the low key sometimes.) And Rebecca made an oreo cheesecake. It was amazing!



(I especially like this last picture because it captures so many personalities in one picture -- Neil telling a funny story, me laughing hysterically, Shaleen just giving him a look.)
Rebecca also organized something for me last year. I celebrated by taking off early from school, running 5 miles, buying a new shirt, and eating dinner with many of my favorite people at the Cracker Barrel. (Rebecca named the party "Elizabeth's Comfortable Birthday." I have this thing about the Cracker Barrel, and this billboard ad I once saw that said, "Where comfort meets food;" it was so effective on me!)




This year I'm in Barcelona for my birthday. This is what it looks like this year.
First off, Julia and I took the subway to find the church.

The building was very well hidden; we had to follow some missionaries we saw in order to find it. The entire meeting was in Spanish (obviously), and I understood very little, but it was still great. The best was singing the hymns (which I knew the tunes to) in Spanish.

Then we came home, ate some food, and took a nap. (I am not helping myself get over jet lag!) We then went out and saw some cool buildings. (Barcelona is famous for some of the architecture around.)
This is called Casa Mila (La Pedrera), which was designed by Gaudi. "Works of Gaudi" (many of them are in Barcelona) is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Palau del Baro de Quadras.

Me with a dragon.

And a gargoyle.

A building that looked like a castle.

And another Gaudi building.

And crazy Spain soccer (I mean, football) fans. (Viva Espana!)

The Palau de la Musica Catalana, another World Heritage Site.

The Catedral. (It's undergoing reconstruction.)

A street performer blowing giant bubbles. Now that's something I can support. I put some change in his cup.

La Sagrada Familia (most famous building in Barcelona -- also by Gaudi).

Eating pizza, wishing the Euro Cup football match was being broadcast on TV and not the radio in that cafe.

Eating lemon gelato. Yum!!

It was a good birthday this year!
10 comments:
It's OK with me if you want to call this your favorite birthday, because I'm pretty sure that being in Barcelona and on the day of Spain's triumph in Euro 2008, to boot, easily beats out a birthday at 8111 Shenandoah Drive! Happy Birthday!
I'm glad you had a great day! You look fantastic!!
Happy Birthday!
Spain must be absolutely crazy today. I wish I were there for the party-they-haven't-had-in-44-years.
That is awesome! Happy Birthday!
My last several birthdays have kind of been let downs. I think that means its time to leave Provo.
Happy Birthday! What wonderful birthday memories! I am glad you're having fun in Barcelona! Hope you didn't get trampled by any footie fans.
Happy Birthday! Again! Looks like a fabulous one to me! After all, what could be better than pizza, gelato and REAL football? And that, after spending a day in Barcelona looking at awesome architecture. I have to say, some of those cool buildings of Gaudi remind me of buildings made of cob. Makes me laugh, but I like it!
By the way, you look amazing!
Hey Elizabeth, are you alone on this trip? We haven't seen a picture of Julia since you left. Did you leave her at JFK? ;-)
Happy Birthday! I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday than on vacation!
Oh, that I was that ice-cream cone, that I might touch those lips...
I don't think I can follow a comment like that. :) Happy Birthday, you know several days later. Looks like you had tons of fun. I am excited when we can go have ice cream together at cold stone. though not nearly as exciting as Gelato. :)
Post a Comment