You won't believe this, but I'm blogging and it's not because I saw a bear.
I had a job interview about 2 weeks ago. I'm applying for tenure-track faculty jobs at primarily undergraduate institutions. Finding such academic jobs can be a rough, long process. This is the third year in a row that I've applied for jobs. Ugh. Anyway, the good news is, since I do have at least one more year at JMU if needed, this year job applications were somewhat less stressful. But still stressful.
Anyway, my job interview was at at SUNY-Geneseo. (State University of New York, the campus located in Geneseo, NY, south of Rochester about 30 minutes.) I had a skype interview with them a couple months ago, felt good about it, and was excited when I got invited back for a campus interview. The interview was 1.5 days, I met with a bunch of people, including all the physics department faculty, some of the department and university staff (provosts, deans, etc.), and students. It's a great department! I think I'd be happy there (aside from the weather....brr!!). We'll see what happens. I should know in a couple more weeks.
I flew into Rochester and rented a car. My interview ended on a Friday afternoon around 2 or 3, and my flight wasn't until the next day at noon. So I took advantage of free time and tried to see some of the area. Turns out I was only an hour and a half from Niagara Falls, so I drove there. That place is so, so, so cool. Go see it if you haven't!
Though it was so cold!!
I have been to Niagara once before, when I was driving from Albany to Austin. But we saw it from the Canada side, which is much better. But I didn't bring my passport on this trip (why would I have??), so I couldn't cross the border this time. :( But I was sorely tempted.
But I was glad that I got to see the New York side. I went over to Goat Island to get a better view of the main Horseshoe Falls (which was tricky, since it was getting dark) and found the statue of Nikola Tesla! Totally worth it.
The arch behind him is entryway to the first hydroelectric plant at Niagara Falls. Go Tesla! Way to bring the world electricity!
And yeah, it started getting a little dark. You can't tell, but that's Horseshoe Falls.
And then my camera (aka, phone) died.
I was starting to get really, really cold, so I left and went to dinner at a local diner I found called "Mom's Restaurant." It was amazing! I ate two mugs of hot chocolate, tomato and macaroni soup, freshly baked bread, home fries, and grilled chicken with grilled peppers. Oh yeah, and a piece of chocolate cream pie. Wow, now that I've typed that out, it sounds a little excessive. But I did take leftovers out!
I drove back to Geneseo, packed up my stuff. I left early the next morning and drove over to Palmyra, NY. I had made an appointment to go to the temple that morning at 7:30. It's a little under an hour drive from Geneseo. It's a super small temple, but really beautiful. Enjoyed the morning!
I found a local diner for breakfast just outside Palmyra. Sadly, the food was not particularly good, despite good reviews on Google. (Who knew it was possible to really mess up home fries?) Alas.
From there I had to hurry straight to the airport and catch my flight to Utah for spring break. I had a great trip to New York, if there is any news to share on the job front in the next few weeks, I will keep you all updated!
Creole Red Beans and Rice
8 years ago






6 comments:
I meant to say, Good luck with the job search and finding the right fit!
I need to see Niagara falls someday. I always appreciate the fact that you have adventures when you go places. You don't just get back on the plane and go home. It inspires me. :) --Marci
Good luck! My mom and dad just got their mission call to Rochester, NY. They're not looking forward to the cold. :)
Keeping my fingers crossed!
I agree, Niagra Falls is truly something special. I'm glad to have had the chance to see it myself.
BTW, I'm dying to hear your take on the asteroid a month ago in Siberia. How does this affect your field of study? Can you help a lay-person, such as myself, truly understand what actually happened?
Post a Comment