Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

While I was home for Christmas my family and I went to lunch at one of our favorite places, The Dairy Keen, a fast food (but better than regular fast food) place up in Heber City, Utah, owned by my aunt and uncle. They had a chicken enchilada soup that was really tasty. We didn't get the recipe from my cousin (though maybe we will still try?), so I set out to find one to try. (I love the internet.)

Here's the recipe I tried. It is really awesome. Even though in my regular enchiladas I prefer flour rather than corn tortillas, making this with corn is fine. It's pretty interesting actually, the corn tortillas actually provide a way to thicken the broth. Reviews I read online say that flour tortillas DON'T do that well, but that they end up more like glue than a nice soup. I haven't tested that. I might not because I like this way just fine.


Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 1 cup green enchilada sauce
  • 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 cooked, boneless/skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1 cup half-and-half

Directions:

  1. Combine chicken broth and tortilla strips in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until strips soften and broth thickens somewhat.
  2. Stir in enchilada sauces and cumin.
  3. Stir chicken and half-and-half.
  4. Serve with tortilla chips. Optional garnishes also include: diced tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, avocado, jalapeno, etc.

Notes:

  • I prefer making it with a little bit more broth. Maybe 1.5 cups.
  • It says "large pot," but my saucepan was fine. A stock pot is too big.
  • The time I made it, I used most the breast meat from a rotisserie chicken I bought, which a decent amount.
  • I made it once with 8 tortillas instead of 10 and that worked fine too. Just a little less thick (but not that big of a difference).
  • When the tortilla strips are soaking in the broth, don't stir it too much (if at all). Stirring will come later. Every time it's stirred, the strips break up a little more, so save your stirs. (And part of the fun is the chunks of tortilla strips.) Just make sure the heat is not so high that they burn.
  • With fat-free broth and fat-free half-and-half, this soup is surprisingly calorie friendly. (Yet so creamy and satisfying!)
  • Definitely serve with tortilla chips! Yum!
  • Recipe says it serves 4, but with a little more broth and less tortillas, I got about 6 1-cup servings.
  • Also makes good leftovers!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love Dairy Keen! I eat there every time I'm in Heber, it's the best. Thanks for sharing the recipe it looks super tasty.

Shelly said...

mmh, sounds yummy! I want to try this soup recipe with my pot pie recipe. I bet it would make a good pot pie.

Christy Lou said...

Sounds delicious! Can I repost this? Or do you want to?