Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry


Yum! For lunch today I knew I wanted (1) curry, and (2) sweet potatoes, and I wanted them together. I have a good crockpot sweet potato chicken curry recipe, but didn't have enough chicken, so I looked for another recipe. I found this, and fortunately had everything on hand, so I made it. And it was yummy!

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
  • 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions
  1. Combine curry powder, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaf in a small bowl.
  2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove chicken from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
  4. Increase heat to medium-high; return chicken to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
  5. Stir in ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  6. Add curry powder mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  7. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
  8. Stir in potato and chickpeas. Cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
  9. Add peas; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
  10. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.
  11. Serve over rice.
Notes
  • I didn't have any turmeric, so I didn't use it. I also didn't have ground red pepper, so I used a few red pepper flakes.
  • I used a whole can of chickpeas, and a cup of peas.
  • I didn't let it simmer for an hour....maybe 30-40 minutes. I was too impatient. In fact, none of the times were really that accurate, this recipe seems pretty forgiving.
  • Served over brown rice. And ate like 3 servings of it. SO GOOD!
It's a keeper!

3 comments:

Christy Lou said...

Yum!

Unknown said...

Hey E! How's it going? This looks tasty. Perhaps I will give it a try sometime.

In the meantime, Is there anyway I could get your Enchilada recipe? You know, the tasty ones you used to take to the Astro library?

Sounds like you are having a great time at your new place. :)

Rebecca J said...

I'm glad you've converted to sweet potato curry combinations. I think I made it for you once (maybe to thank you for a ride to the airport?) and you eyed it suspiciously. :) And I love how Aubrie wants your enchilada recipe. It's famous!