Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cap'n Crunch, like you've never seen him before

Last week, my roommate Ashlee came into my room and said, "What are you doing next Tuesday?" I asked what time, and she said, "Sometime between the hours of 9am and 3pm." (I'm thinking, "Where is this going?") I said, "Work...though my schedule is flexible." (I didn't want to sound discouraging, in case she needed a ride to the airport or something.) She then said, "Do you want to go to the Blue Moon Cafe and get some Cap'n Crunch French toast on Tuesday?" I've never even heard of Cap'n Crunch French toast, but I knew I wanted to be a part of that.

Ashlee heard about the Blue Moon Cafe (located in the Fells Point area of downtown Baltimore) when it was featured on an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network. And she tried it recently, and wanted to go again. We were happy to oblige.

So today Ashlee and I, along with another roommate, Amanda, went to Blue Moon Cafe for brunch. We all ordered the Cap'n Crunch French toast. I was so excited about it, I took a picture.

This stuff is AMAZING. Actually, that doesn't even begin to describe it. Hands down, this is the best French toast in the Universe.

I went to work after brunch and set my status message on Gtalk about it. My friend Kevin got after me for not posting the recipe for such an amazing sounding dish, but I assured him that I didn't HAVE the recipe, but I would investigate it soon. He beat me to it. Within about two minutes, he was sending me links so we could figure out which copy-cat recipe would best replicate it. We (by which I mean he) found this one that we think is it. This recipe is taken from a cook book Guy Fieri (the host of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) put out, so I suspect it's pretty close.

Now, I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I will. My roommates and I are planning to make it Sunday afternoon after church. (Expect a follow up post!) If you decide to try it before then though, please let me know how it turns out! Though please promise me you'll use the thick Texas toast style bread and serve it with whipped cream and fresh berries -- that's how Blue Moon did it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It doesn't scratch the roof of your mouth, does it?

Elizabeth said...

Oh no. It's just pure culinary bliss.