Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall and Farmers Markets

Fall in the northeast is awesome. The leaves are turning, it's getting chillier, and I can do many autumnal things I couldn't really fully enjoy in Austin. (I love the word "autumnal." I challenge you to use it in casual conversation.) I can start wearing hoodies, cardigans, scarves, and tights. I can drink hot chocolate and make soup. (I currently have four or five soup recipes waiting to be tried, and made two more this past week.)

Since moving here I've also become a regular at one of the local farmers market. My roommates told me about it; it's very near our house (though not quite close enough to walk, darn) and happens every Saturday morning. There are LOTS of people selling fresh produce, as well as flowers and baked goods (mostly bread and pastries). It is great! In the last year or two, I've been realizing how important it is (for many reasons) to support local farmers. So, now every Saturday morning I go to the market.

I want to buy lots of things, but I've told myself that I can only buy things if I eat them. (Brilliant rule, don't you think?) This is harder than it sounds, however, since I'm only cooking for one person, and there aren't many things at the market you can buy in such small amounts. (For example, I can't just buy one or two tomatoes; the smallest amount they sell is around five or six. But fortunately, I found one booth that sells apples by the pound, so I don't have to buy a whole basket.) But I'm trying very hard to not be wasteful, so I'm looking up lots of new recipes and eating a lot of vegetables right now. (All of which is good for me.)

This week in addition to the produce I wanted, I splurged a bit. I bought a jar of pumpkin butter and a jar of apple butter. Also, a loaf of challah bread. (I have such a weakness for that. When I saw it, I couldn't resist!) Yum! Maybe I'll even venture into the bread making world this week. That would be quite a feat. (Mmm, fresh whole wheat bread and pumpkin butter!)

Next year I will likely look into the option of joining a CSA. (Community Supported Agriculture -- these are the programs that you pay a flat fee to the farm and every week during the season you get a box with produce. Usually you don't know what you're getting until you get it.) From what I've been told, there are many of them around this area. It'll likely be cheaper, as long as I can get a half share or something.

Hurray for fall!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I love fall leaves... I'm jealous since we don't see that here in AZ.

Rebecca J said...

So pretty. We like our CSA, except that we've gotten like 2 pounds of okra in each of the last 3 boxes. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

So pretty. I love farmer's markets. We have a CSA here and it seems pretty cool. We don't use it because my mom grows enough produce for the whole state, but I think it would be a cool thing to be a part of.