Sunday, March 8, 2009

Job News

I went to a conference in Baltimore in October. I had the above picture taken when we spent one afternoon visiting Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI).

Maybe it was a sign.

Of course, I also thought the fact that I've seen at least 3 Florida license plates a week since being here in Albany was a sign too. But it wasn't.

I applied for a couple jobs this semester. Not nearly as many as I should have; I should have applied to about 3 or 4 or 5 times as many as I did. But turns out, that doesn't matter anymore.

I was offered a job. And a week later I accepted it.

In September I will begin my job as a post doc at STScI in Baltimore. Contingent upon the completion of my thesis, of course.

So come late August-ish I will be moving to Baltimore, Maryland, the self-proclaimed "Greatest City in America." (In the opening remarks of the conference I went to in Baltimore they noted, "You know that if you have to call yourself that, you're probably not." That made me laugh.)

I've been to Baltimore a couple times. Once or twice to visit my friend Angela when she lived there, and most recently for this conference last October.

I'm excited about the job. STScI is kind of a big deal (it's where they run the Hubble Space Telescope from, for example). I will be working on analyzing new and recent data taken with the Hubble. There are a lot of people at STScI, to collaborate with and to learn from. Lots of opportunities, lots of ways to grow. Admittedly, that really intimidates me. I worry about not being up to par, about whether or not I'll be able to do a good job.

I'm excited about Baltimore. A new scene is always exciting. New people to meet, new places to experience. Baltimore has some cool things to do and see, and I'm excited to find them. And it'll be fun to be close to DC, and some good friends I have there.

So apparently there is more adventure ahead! Continue to stay tuned.

9 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

YAY East Coast! My mom travels to Baltimore for work every other month!!
This is exciting, now just convince Julia to move with you!

Rebecca said...

Ooh, fun! Congrats!

Rebecca J said...

Yay! I'm excited to be able to talk about my friend who runs the Hubble Telescope. :)

Christy Lou said...

Horray! Congrats on the job :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

I'll drop you an email sometime to let you know some of the places I found while I was there.

Tiffany said...

Congrats on the job! I love Baltimore, even if they aren't the greatest city.

Anonymous said...

Of course it's okay that you've been blog-stalking me because I've been reading your blog since this summer! Congrats on the new job!

Tiffany said...

Yea for Baltimore! Well, the living MUCH closer to me, not the living in a slightly sketchy city. But also, yea for a job! Congrats!

Jacob and Laura said...

Congratulations! That sounds so awesome!